Hey there, foodies! Today I want to share with you one of my all-time favorite snacks: Patatas Bravas. If you’ve never heard of them before, let me introduce you to these delicious Spanish-style fries.
Patatas Bravas are a classic tapa from Spain that consists of crispy fried potatoes topped with a spicy sauce. They’re the perfect snack to enjoy with a cold beer or as a side dish to any meal. And the best part? They’re super easy to make at home!
I first discovered Patatas Bravas when I was studying abroad in Spain. I remember walking into a tapas bar with some friends and being immediately drawn to the smell of fried potatoes and spices. We ordered a plate of Patatas Bravas to share and I was hooked from the first bite. The potatoes were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and the spicy sauce was the perfect complement.
Since then, I’ve made Patatas Bravas countless times at home. They’re always a hit with friends and family, and they’re the perfect snack to whip up when you’re craving something salty and spicy.
In this blog post, I’ll be sharing my go-to recipe for Patatas Bravas along with some tips and tricks for making them perfectly every time. So grab a cold beer and let’s get cooking!
- 2.2 pounds of potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
For the brava sauce:
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon of spicy paprika
- 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth
- Start by making the brava sauce. Peel and chop the garlic and fry it in a pan with extra virgin olive oil until it starts to brown. Add the flour and fry for another minute.
- Add both types of paprika and mix quickly. Immediately add the broth and mix constantly until the sauce thickens. Blend well with a blender until smooth.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Fry them in oil at medium temperature until they are cooked through. Raise the temperature and let them brown until crispy.
- Drain the potatoes on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve the potatoes hot with the brava sauce on top.
- One way to add more flavor to the potatoes is to season them before frying. Try tossing the potatoes with spices such as smoked paprika, garlic powder, or cumin before frying them. This will give the potatoes an extra layer of flavor that will complement the spicy brava sauce.
- Another way to enhance the flavor of the dish is to use a flavored oil for frying the potatoes. For example, you could use a garlic-infused olive oil or a chili-infused oil to add an extra kick to the dish.
- To make the dish even more indulgent, try topping the Patatas Bravas with some grated cheese before serving. A sharp cheddar or a tangy feta would work well with the spicy sauce and crispy potatoes.
- If you want to add some freshness to the dish, try serving it with a side of lemon wedges or a simple green salad. The acidity of the lemon juice or the freshness of the salad will help balance out the richness of the fried potatoes and spicy sauce.
- Another way to add some variety to the dish is to experiment with different types of potatoes. Try using sweet potatoes or purple potatoes for a colorful and flavorful twist on the classic recipe.
- Finally, don’t be afraid to play around with the heat level of the brava sauce. If you like your food extra spicy, try adding more spicy paprika or even some diced fresh chili peppers to the sauce. On the other hand, if you prefer a milder sauce, you can reduce the amount of spicy paprika or use a milder variety.