Few things taste as good as a delicious cake made in the good way our mothers and grandmothers did. And the old-fashioned honey and walnut cake is a perfect example of just that. The aroma coming out of the oven is capable of transporting us through time and bringing to mind the best memories of our childhood, the time when we were happy with so little and didn’t even realize it.
The recipe we bring you today has that gift. It is traditional, typical and made with ingredients used in the most classic gastronomy. Honey, nuts, cinnamon or fennel were the basis of many cakes and desserts that delighted our ancestors, always capable of creating so much with so little and in a very simple way.
Convinced? So gather the ingredients and make this old-fashioned honey and walnut cake. Afterwards, prepare a nice hot tea and gather the family around the table. We are sure that they will love every slice and they will also remember these moments in the future. Bon appetit and happy memories!
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 and 1/2 cups of wheat flour
- 0.5 dl of honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 coffee spoon of fennel powder
- 2 table spoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of chopped walnut kernels
- Preheat the oven to 360 ºF.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with the honey and sugar.
- Beat until you get a smooth cream.
- Add cinnamon and fennel.
- Add the flour (which must be sifted) and the baking powder.
- Stir again to mix the ingredients well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add them to the previous preparation and stir vigorously with a wire rod until you get a soft dough.
- TIP: the dough may not be soft enough. If this happens, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Add the chopped walnuts and mix the ingredients gently.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and floured mold.
- Place in the oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and unmold.
- Cover the cake with the remaining honey (which must be heated to become more liquid).
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve.
- If you don't like our frosting suggestion, you can just use powdered sugar or even serve the cake plain.
- It is possible to use any type of sugar in the preparation of the honey and walnut cake: yellow, brown or regular. The quantities are the same.
- You can enhance the flavor of this cake by adding some spices. The original recipe already has cinnamon (the amount of which can be increased to 3 spoons) but you can add nutmeg or cloves, for example.
- This old-fashioned honey and walnut cake is also very delicious if you add a little sultanas or raisins. It will get a little more humid and the grape flavor contrasts very well with the honey flavor. If you want to do so, add no more than 50 grams.
- Adding milk to the ingredient list will make this cake a little fluffier. However, you should not add more than honey.
- One of the tricks to improve the flavor of this cake is to add a little bit of almond flour. Half cup is enough and, if you do, you must reduce the wheat flour in the corresponding amount.