As a food blogger from the US, I’ve had my fair share of delicious meals. But there’s one dish that stands out in my mind as a true culinary masterpiece: Chicken Limone. Or as they call it in Italy, “Pollo al Limone.” And yes, I’m totally showing off my Italian language skills right now.
I first discovered this zesty and flavorful dish during a vacation in Italy. I was wandering the streets of Rome, taking in the sights and smells of the city when I stumbled upon a quaint little restaurant tucked away in a side street. The aroma wafting from the kitchen was enough to make my stomach growl, so I decided to pop in for a bite to eat.
And that’s when I had my first taste of Pollo al Limone. It was love at first bite. The tender chicken, the tangy lemon sauce… it was like a party in my mouth. I knew right then and there that I had to learn how to make this dish so I could recreate it at home.
So I did what any self-respecting food blogger would do: I begged the chef for the recipe. And after some pleading (and maybe a little bit of bribery with promises of free publicity on my blog), he finally relented and shared his secret recipe with me.
And now, dear readers, I’m going to share that recipe with you. But before we get to the good stuff (i.e. the recipe), let me tell you a little bit more about this dish.
Chicken Limone (or Pollo al Limone) is a classic Italian dish that’s popular in both Italy and the US. It’s made with tender chicken breasts that are coated in flour and pan-fried until golden brown. Then they’re smothered in a tangy lemon sauce that’s both zesty and savory.
It’s the perfect dish for any occasion, whether you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or something to impress your guests at a dinner party. And the best part? It’s super easy to make!
So without further ado, let’s get cooking! But first, make sure you have your glass of wine ready. Because as any good Italian chef will tell you, cooking without wine is like… well, it’s just not done.
I hope this introduction has whetted your appetite for some delicious Chicken Limone! Stay tuned for the recipe and more mouthwatering details.
- 1.3 lbs chicken breast
- All-purpose flour (as needed)
- Extra virgin olive oil (as needed)
- Oregano (as needed)
For the lemon sauce:
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3.5 oz lemon juice
- 6.8 oz water
- 0.7 oz cornstarch
- 0.35 oz sugar
- Fine salt (as needed)
- 0.35 oz soy sauce
- Start by zesting your lemon and squeezing out the juice. Make sure to filter it!
- Next, clean your chicken breast by dividing it in half and removing any fatty parts. Cut it first into strips and then into smaller pieces.
- Coat your chicken pieces in flour, making sure it sticks well.
- Heat up some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add your chicken pieces and let them brown for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally until well browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now it’s time to make the sauce! In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch, water, sugar, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- Pour this mixture into the same pan you used to brown the chicken. Let it thicken for about a minute while stirring with a whisk before adding the chicken back in. Mix everything together and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Finish off by seasoning with lemon zest and fresh oregano.
- You can add other ingredients to this Lemon Chicken recipe to make it your own. Some suggestions could be adding vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or broccoli to the pan while cooking the chicken. You could also try adding some spices or herbs like garlic, ginger, or thyme for extra flavor.
- Another idea could be to serve the chicken over a bed of rice or noodles and top it with some chopped nuts or sesame seeds for added texture.
- Chicken limone is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Here are some ideas for sides that would complement the flavors of this dish:
- Rice: A simple side of steamed or fried rice would be a great accompaniment to Lemon Chicken. You could also try a more flavorful rice dish like lemon or herb rice.
- Vegetables: Roasted or sautéed vegetables like asparagus, green beans, or broccoli would be a delicious and healthy side dish option.
- Salad: A fresh salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a lemon vinaigrette would be a light and refreshing side dish.
- Potatoes: Roasted or mashed potatoes would be a hearty and satisfying side dish to serve with Lemon Chicken.
- Bread: A crusty loaf of bread or some dinner rolls would be perfect for soaking up the delicious lemon sauce.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to mix and match different sides to create your perfect meal!