There’s something undeniably comforting about a bowl of creamy sweet rice (arroz doce cremoso). This classic Portuguese dessert is the perfect way to end a meal or satisfy a sweet craving. It’s rich, creamy, and packed with flavor – everything you could want in a dessert.
But what exactly is arroz doce cremoso? At its core, it’s a simple rice pudding made with milk, sugar, and rice. But what sets it apart from other rice puddings is the addition of lemon peel and cinnamon stick, which infuse the dish with warm and citrusy flavors. And let’s not forget the egg yolks, which give the pudding its signature creamy texture.
Making Portuguese rice pudding at home is surprisingly easy. All you need are a few basic ingredients and a little bit of patience. The key to achieving the perfect texture is to cook the rice slowly in milk until it’s soft and creamy. Then you add the sugar and egg yolks, stirring constantly until everything is well combined.
One of the best things about arroz doce cremoso is that it’s incredibly versatile. You can serve it hot or cold, depending on your preference. And you can customize it with your favorite toppings – think ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or even a dollop of whipped cream.
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make the perfect Portuguese rice pudding at home. We’ll walk you through the recipe step-by-step and share our tips for achieving the perfect texture and flavor. So grab your saucepan and let’s get cooking!
But before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a closer look at the history of arroz doce cremoso. This dessert has been enjoyed in Portugal for centuries and is a staple at celebrations and family gatherings. It’s believed to have originated in the convents, where nuns would use leftover rice to create sweet treats for special occasions.
Over time, Portuguese rice pudding has evolved and taken on many different forms. Some people like to add vanilla extract or other flavorings to give it a unique twist. Others prefer to keep it simple and stick to the traditional recipe.
No matter how you like your arroz doce cremoso, one thing is certain: this dessert is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and leave you feeling warm and cozy inside.
- 1 1/2 cups of carolino rice
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 8 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch of salt
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Pour the water into a saucepan, add the butter, the pinch of salt, the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick, bring to the heat and let it start to boil.
- Add the rice and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until it is almost without water.
- In another saucepan, heat the milk. Then add the milk to the rice pan, gradually and stirring occasionally, and let the rice cook until it is soft and very creamy.
- Then add the sugar, stir and let it boil for another 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, add some of the rice from the pan, stirring until it is warm. Then add to the pan stirring constantly, remove from heat, reject the lemon peel and cinnamon stick, pour into a bowl and let it cool.
- When serving, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- You add other ingredients to the creamy sweet rice recipe to make it your own! Some common additions include vanilla extract, nutmeg, or even a splash of orange or lemon juice for a citrusy twist.
- You could also try adding raisins or other dried fruit for added texture and flavor. It’s all about experimenting and finding what you like best!
- If you want to add vanilla extract to the creamy sweet rice recipe, a good rule of thumb is to start with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. You can always add more to taste if you prefer a stronger vanilla flavor. Just make sure to stir it in well so that the flavor is evenly distributed throughout the dish.
- You can add other extracts to the creamy sweet rice recipe to give it a unique flavor. Some popular options include almond extract, coconut extract, or even peppermint extract for a festive twist. Just like with the vanilla extract, start with a small amount (around 1 teaspoon) and add more to taste. Make sure to stir it in well so that the flavor is evenly distributed throughout the dish.
- Add other spices to the creamy sweet rice recipe to give it a unique flavor. Some popular options include nutmeg, cardamom, or even a pinch of cloves for a warm and spicy twist. Start with a small amount (around 1/4 teaspoon) and add more to taste.