Portuguese cuisine is known for its rich and hearty flavors, and this beef stew recipe is no exception. Loaded with tender beef, carrots, and potatoes all simmered in a savory sauce, it’s the perfect comfort food for a chilly day.
One of the things I love about this recipe is how easy it is to make. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking techniques, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal on the table in no time. And the best part? It’s all made in one pot, so cleanup is a breeze.
But don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you – the flavors are anything but basic. The combination of beef, carrots, and potatoes creates a rich and hearty base for the stew, while the addition of sweet paprika, bay leaf, and parsley adds depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
Another great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. While it’s delicious as written, you can easily customize it to suit your tastes. Try adding more vegetables like mushrooms or bell peppers, experiment with different cuts of beef, or add some herbs and spices to give it even more depth of flavor.
And let’s not forget about the leftovers. This stew is one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day, as the flavors have had time to meld together. So go ahead and make a big batch – you’ll be glad you did when you’re enjoying a warm and hearty bowl of stew for lunch or dinner the next day.
In short, this Portuguese beef stew recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves rich and hearty comfort food. It’s easy to make, packed with flavor, and sure to become a new favorite in your recipe collection. So grab your pot and let’s get cooking! 😊
- 1.5 lbs of beef for stewing
- 1.5 lbs of small potatoes
- 7 oz of peas
- 2 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10 fl oz of white wine
- 3.4 fl oz of tomato pulp
- 1.7 fl oz of olive oil
- 1 cube of beef broth
- 1 dessert spoon of sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the meat. Cut it into cubes and season it with the chopped garlic cloves, white wine, salt and pepper.
- Next, peel and chop the onion. Place it in a pot along with the olive oil and heat until it turns golden.
- Add in the tomato pulp, sweet paprika, bay leaf, parsley sprig and drained meat. Give everything a good stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the marinade, 4.2 cups of water and the beef broth cube. Let everything cook for approximately 25 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, peel the carrots and potatoes. Cut the carrots into slices and add them to the pot along with the peas.
- Let everything cook for about 40 minutes or until everything is well cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- While this recipe already includes carrots and peas, you could add even more vegetables to make it even heartier and more nutritious. Some great options to consider include mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, or even some leafy greens like spinach or kale.
- This recipe calls for beef for stewing, but you could experiment with different cuts of beef to see how it affects the flavor and texture of the stew. Some options to consider include chuck roast, short ribs, or even brisket.
- While this recipe already includes sweet paprika, bay leaf, and parsley, you could add even more herbs and spices to give the stew even more depth of flavor. Some great options to consider include thyme, rosemary, oregano, or even a pinch of cumin or smoked paprika.
- Instead of cooking the stew on the stove top, you could try making it in a slow cooker. This would allow all the flavors to meld together over a longer period of time, resulting in an even richer and more flavorful stew.
- While this beef stew is already a complete meal on its own, you could serve it with a side dish to make it even more satisfying. Some great options to consider include crusty bread for dipping in the sauce, a simple green salad, or even some rice or mashed potatoes.