As a food blogger of Portuguese origin living in the US, I am always on the lookout for ways to recreate the delicious flavors of my homeland in my own kitchen. One dish that holds a special place in my heart is choco frito à moda de Setúbal – a traditional dish of fried cuttlefish from the coastal city of Setúbal.
Growing up, I have fond memories of visiting Setúbal with my family and enjoying plates of freshly caught and cooked choco frito at one of the many seafood restaurants in the city.
The tender and flavorful cuttlefish, coated in a light and crispy batter and served with a squeeze of lemon, was always a highlight of our trips.
But it wasn’t just in Setúbal that I enjoyed choco frito. My mother would often make it at home for us, using her own special recipe that had been passed down through generations of our family.
I remember watching her in the kitchen as she expertly prepared the cuttlefish and mixed together the ingredients for the batter. The smell of frying choco would fill the house and make our mouths water in anticipation.
Now, living thousands of miles away from Portugal, I often find myself craving the taste of choco frito à moda de Setúbal. So, I decided to try my hand at making it at home and sharing the recipe with all of you.
In this blog post, I will show you how to make choco frito à moda de Setúbal in your own kitchen. This recipe is simple and easy to follow, and the result is a delicious and satisfying dish that will transport you to the sunny shores of Portugal.
So, let’s get started and bring a taste of Setúbal to your table!
- 1.76 lb of cuttlefish strips
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon (juice)
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt as needed
- Pepper as needed
- Flour as needed
- Oil as needed
- Start by seasoning the cuttlefish strips with chopped garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Place a frying pan with oil to heat.
- Pass the cuttlefish strips through flour and fry.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a platter with absorbent paper.
- Instead of wheat flour you can use corn flour.
- If you like, add chili or spicy in the initial seasoning.
- You can add other ingredients to the recipe for Fried Cuttlefish in the style of Setúbal to make it your own. Some ideas could be adding herbs or spices to the marinade or serving it with a sauce or dip.
- There are many sauces that would go well with Fried Cuttlefish in the style of Setúbal. Some ideas could be a garlic aioli, a lemon herb sauce, or a spicy tomato sauce.
- You could also try serving it with a simple squeeze of lemon or a drizzle of olive oil. It really depends on your personal taste and what flavors you enjoy.
- There are many herbs that would go well with Fried Cuttlefish in the style of Setúbal. Some ideas could be parsley, cilantro, basil, or dill.
- You could chop the herbs and sprinkle them over the top of the dish before serving or mix them into a sauce or marinade. It really depends on your personal taste and what flavors you enjoy.