Hey friends! Today I’m excited to share with you a recipe for a delicious dessert that’s perfect for any occasion: Portuguese orange cake with olive oil. This cake is light, fluffy, and packed with bright citrus flavor. Plus, it’s super easy to make and is sure to impress your friends and family.
If you’ve never tried Portuguese orange cake before, you’re in for a real treat. This cake is a traditional dessert in Portugal and is made with simple ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, and of course, oranges. The addition of olive oil gives the cake a subtle richness and depth of flavor that’s truly irresistible.
One of the things I love about this cake is how versatile it is. It’s perfect for serving at brunch or as a sweet treat after dinner. You can even dress it up with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgent dessert.
But don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you – this cake is packed with flavor. The combination of fresh orange juice and zest gives the cake a bright and tangy taste that’s perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the sugar. And the olive oil adds a subtle richness that takes this cake to the next level.
Making this cake is super easy, too. All you need are a few basic ingredients and about an hour of your time. The batter comes together quickly and bakes up into a light and fluffy cake that’s perfect for any occasion.
So if you’re looking for a delicious dessert that’s easy to make and packed with flavor, give this Portuguese orange cake with olive oil a try. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- To make this cake, start by preheating your oven to 350°F and greasing a cake pan. Set it aside while you prepare the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until they’re light and fluffy. Then add in the olive oil, orange juice, and yogurt, and mix until everything is well combined.
- Next, add in the orange zest and gradually sift in the flour, stirring until everything is well combined. Finally, add in the salt and baking powder and give everything one last stir.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Once it’s done, remove it from the oven and let it cool before serving.
- And that’s it! This orange and olive oil cake is perfect for serving at brunch or as a sweet treat after dinner. Enjoy!
- One way to enhance the flavor of this cake is to use freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly grated orange zest. This will give the cake a more vibrant and natural citrus flavor.
- Another way to add depth of flavor to this cake is to use a high-quality olive oil. Look for an extra-virgin olive oil with a fruity and slightly bitter taste. This will complement the sweetness of the cake and add a subtle richness to the overall flavor.
- To give this cake a more complex texture, try adding in some chopped nuts or dried fruit. Almonds, walnuts, or pistachios would all work well, as would dried cranberries or raisins. Fold these ingredients into the batter before baking for a delicious crunch in every bite.
- For an extra burst of citrus flavor, try adding in some lemon zest or lemon juice to the batter. This will give the cake a bright and tangy taste that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the orange.
- To make this cake even more indulgent, try serving it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The creaminess of these toppings will balance out the citrus flavors and add an extra layer of richness to each bite.
- Finally, for a beautiful presentation, try dusting the top of the cake with powdered sugar or drizzling it with a simple glaze made from powdered sugar and orange juice. This will add a touch of sweetness and make the cake look even more appetizing.