Hey friends! I’m so excited to share with you one of my favorite dishes ever: papas a la mexicana. These are crispy potatoes cooked with fresh tomatoes, onions and peppers in a spicy sauce that will make your mouth water.
Papas a la mexicana are one of those dishes that I grew up eating at home and that always remind me of my mom’s cooking. She would make them for breakfast, lunch or dinner and serve them with warm tortillas, eggs, cheese or whatever we had on hand.
They are so simple and satisfying that I never get tired of them. And they are also super versatile and adaptable to your taste and preferences. You can use any kind of potatoes or peppers you like, add more or less spice, throw in some cheese or cilantro or garlic…the possibilities are endless!
The best part is that they are very easy to make. You only need seven ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry: potatoes, oil, onion, pepper, tomatoes, salt and water. And you only need one skillet to cook everything.
You just peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes and fry them until golden and tender. Then you add the chopped onion, pepper and tomatoes and cook until they form a thick and flavorful sauce. Season with salt to taste and voila! You have a delicious Mexican potato dish ready to enjoy.
You can eat these papas a la mexicana as they are or with some toppings like sour cream, cheese or salsa. You can also serve them as a side dish for any main course like chicken, beef or eggs. Or you can use them as a filling for tacos or burritos.
Trust me when I say that these papas a la mexicana will become your new favorite way to eat potatoes. They are so yummy and comforting that you will want to make them again and again. So grab your skillet and let’s get cooking!
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of peeled and diced potatoes
- ⅓ cup of chopped onion
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes and fry for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender.
- Add onion, pepper and tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, until tomatoes are soft and sauce is thick.
- Season with salt to taste and serve hot or cold.
- You can serve papas a la mexicana as a side dish or filling for tacos or burritos.
- You can add more pepper if you want a spicier dish.
- You can customize the recipe to your liking. Some possible additions are cheese, cilantro, garlic, cumin or oregano.
- You can also use different types of potatoes or peppers. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and seasoning accordingly
- You can enjoy papas a la mexicana as they are or with some toppings like sour cream, cheese or salsa. You can also serve them as a side dish for any main course like chicken, beef or eggs.